[gnso-rpm-wg] 99%+ reduction in sunrise utilization rate per TLD supports EFF call for elimination of sunrise

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 03:21:01 UTC 2017

George,

I don't see the math that created your "talking point" of a "99%+ reduction
in sunrise."  Can you show your work please?

I do think it's apropos that you compare this to the "success" (or lack
thereof) of the new gTLD program as a whole.  Sunrise is a part of the New
gTLD Program, and if their performance is similarly "successful" in your
estimation -- that's only to be expected.  We can't expect Sunrise
registrations to outperform the New gTLD Program generally. So, even if we
buy your metrics of "success" (which I don't), a Sunrise program that is
roughly as successful as the New gTLD Program as a whole is performing to
expectations.  I think that's a helpful way to look at Sunrise in context,
so thank you for that.

Greg