[gnso-rpm-wg] 99%+ reduction in sunrise utilization rate per TLD supports EFF call for elimination of sunrise

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Mon Aug 14 11:22:17 UTC 2017

Hi Volker,

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Volker Greimann
<vgreimann at key-systems.net> wrote:
> This proposal would simply add one further category of names that would be reserved for the general public, but open for registration by authorized entities. The TMCH would provide the list to the registry operators.

I believe the TM folks had a grave concern about that "list" of TMCH
marks being made public (which effectively would be the case, if it
was simply handed over to many registry operators). Given the number
of distinct registry operators that would have access to it, each one
would have plausible deniability as it got leaked/distributed, and it
would be impossible to identify the source/leaker who 'violated' any
terms restricting its use.

That list could then form the basis of premium names lists, amongst
other issues, in their eyes.

I don't have any problems with that list being public and/or
"effectively" public and widely distributed, though. It's been
repeatedly asked for by Paul Keating and others in this PDP as well,
so that we can dive deep and research the topics at stake in this
review of RPMs.