[gnso-rpm-wg] List of examples for Deloitte (Re: Action items and updated documents from Working Group call of 15 February)

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Wed Feb 22 16:34:31 UTC 2017

Hello,

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Lori Schulman <lschulman at inta.org> wrote:
> Before J Scott weighs in, I would imagine that any disclosure of any registrations would be a violation of confidentiality between the Clearinghouse and the Registrant.  It’s been a while since I have personally registered anything in the TMCH but my understanding is that there is a promise of nondisclosure except in instances where claims notices would be generated to potential registrants of conflicting names.

There are certainly workarounds that don't require Deloitte's
permission. There are multiple new gTLDs launching soon (e.g. .RADIO,
.FUN, and .VUELOS). One could generate a list of 1000, 10,000 or more
common terms and see which ones generate TM claims notices, to
research which terms trigger the trademark claims notices.

As has been pointed out before, we already know "THE" is on the list! :-)

https://www.thedomains.com/2017/02/01/the-trademark-clearinghouse-worked-so-well-one-company-got-24-new-gtld-using-the-famous-trademark-the/

Here's a dataset one could use to get started:

https://github.com/first20hours/google-10000-english

although, those don't necessarily match the most valuable/desirable
terms in any given TLD. e.g. we know LasVegas.com is a $90 million
domain name:

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2015/dailyposts/20151106.htm

and "Las Vegas" is not on the above list because it's two words
instead of one (although "Vegas" alone appears).

There are even APIs that one could use to do it programmatically,
instead of doing it one at a time by a human, e.g. Tucows/OpenSRS:

https://opensrs.com/blog/2014/03/claims-notice/

"Lookup domain and name_suggest commands will return a new parameter
name called “has_claim” with a value of 0 or 1 for new TLDs within the
90 day claims period"

I'm sure other registrars with an API have similar results, to allow
anyone to check 100,000 or a million domains to see if they generate
claims notices.