[gnso-rpm-wg] Data on non exact matches

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Wed May 17 18:48:35 UTC 2017

Another thought on the data front.

As I suggested on the call, I wonder if ICANN staff has the technical capacity to take a dozen or so well-known 2 and 3 letter acronyms that are registered as trademarks and therefore eligible for TMCH registration (e.g., GM, HP, LV, UA, IBM, GE), run them against standard dictionaries for major ASCII  languages ( at least English, French, Spanish, & German), and provide us with the list of words that if attempted to be registered as domains would generate claims notice under a 'mark contained' approach (e.g., frogman.tld) generates a notice based on GM in the TMCH).

I think the results would be quite illuminating as regards the scope of false positive matches that are unrelated to the goods and services associated with the mark.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050