[gnso-rpm-wg] A Proposal for Smarter Non-Exact Matches

Jonathan Agmon jonathan.agmon at ip-law.legal
Wed May 31 03:33:04 UTC 2017

I think the proposal addendum is very helpful.
Some WIPO’s UDRP cases identify additional typical typo-squatting (See the new WIPO Overview 3.0<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/overview3.0/>) (items 1 and 2 below). Items 3-6 are cases I have come across.
I would therefore suggest that you consider adding a few additional rules to your addendum proposal:

1.       Upper/Lower case substitution (to avoid abuse of the fact that the DNS is case sensitive);

2.       Digit/Letter substitution (for example, a zero for an “o”);

3.       Added-dot typos (for example, www.dom.ain.com<http://www.dom.ain.com>);

4.       For the non-Latin character substitution I would add that it should cover IDN’s homographs substitution (for example in Chinese replacing a full form sign for a simple form sign (it also exists in Hebrew, Greek and some other scripts);

5.       Country codes – such as US, FR, and so forth (these seem to appear in many UDRP cases, and they are easy to identify automatically); and

6.       Hyphen use – such as for example www.dom-ain.com<http://www.dom-ain.com>.

I hope this helps.

[cid:SANLogSmallNew_485a3de7-c8c5-4ec6-b34d-6de68607f295.png]

Jonathan Agmon (胡韩森)

Advocate, Director

Attorney and Counsellor at Law (admitted in New York)

jonathan.agmon at ip-law.legal<mailto:jonathan.agmon at ip-law.legal>

www.ip-law.legal<http://www.ip-law.legal>

T SG +65 6532 2577

T US +1 212 999 6180

T IL +972 9 950 7000

F IL +972 9 950 5500

Soroker Agmon Nordman Pte Ltd.

133 New Bridge Road, #13-02, 059413 SINGAPORE

8 Hahoshlim Street P.O. Box 12425 4672408 Herzliya, ISRAEL

This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake, please let us know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system; you may not copy this message or disclose its contents to anyone. Please send us by fax any message containing deadlines as incoming e-mails are not screened for response deadlines. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.