[gnso-rpm-wg] Availability of Court for Domain Name owners challenging a URS decision -- false assumption?

claudio di gangi ipcdigangi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 23:59:50 UTC 2017

George,

Thanks for bringing this case to our attention. I haven't had the benefit
of reading it yet, but based on your description I have a few preliminary
thoughts:

1) is the decision in the case you cite appealable to a higher court? If
yes, the issue may not be 'settled law' until that potential appeal is
raised by the moving party and considered by a 'higher' court within the
jurisdiction.

2) whether a court has jurisdiction over a particular case is a legal issue
that can be changed potentially by passing a new statutory law (or
sometimes even by amending the constitution). For example, this happened in
the United States with the anti-cybersquatting legislation you mentioned.
If this jurisprudence is limited to the UK and Australia, then it's
possible the laws in these countries can be updated to bring them more in
line with international norms.

One other thought: if the solution you mention in #2 below were to be
adopted, then cybersquatters could simply register their domains with false
Whois information corresponding to that country, and the ADR procedures
would no longer be applicable. This would be an exception that swallows the
rule.

I recall this type of gaming has happened on a similar topic: a company
based in India was offering 'services' to registrants because the appeals
process takes a long time in India, so a trademark owner would have to wait
years before they could get the domain transferred, see:

https://www.inta.org/INTABulletin/Pages/UDRPHijackingAvoidinganInvoluntaryPassagetoIndia.aspx

I am qualifying my statements because I have not read the case you
identified, but hope you find this feedback helpful.

Best,
Claudio