[gnso-rpm-wg] [Ext] Re: REMINDER re: Nominations for RPM Working Group Co-Chair

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Tue Apr 24 16:47:21 UTC 2018

With regards to Brian Beckham of WIPO being one of the co-chairs, I'm
relatively indifferent, as long as the co-chairs comply with the
working group guidelines which place constraints on their behaviour
(i.e. neutrality, not pushing their own agenda, etc.). It's meant to
be an administrative/clerical task, essentially.

I think Brian would go a long way towards demonstrating his commitment
towards that required neutrality if he would get WIPO to update their
"Court Challenged Cases" page at:

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/challenged/

with cases that have been **repeatedly** brought to their attention in
the past, including:

1. Soundstop.com --
http://domainnamewire.com/2016/07/21/mike-mann-overturns-udrp-decision-court/
https://domainnamewire.com/wp-content/soundstop-1.pdf

2. AustinPain.com --
http://ia601008.us.archive.org/18/items/gov.uscourts.cod.147273/gov.uscourts.cod.147273.23.0.pdf

3. SDT.com --
http://domainnamewire.com/2015/07/22/50000-penalty-for-filing-a-frivolous-udrp/
https://domainnamewire.com/wp-content/SDT-settlement1.pdf

4. Moobitalk.com --
http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=5899d5f9-3bbc-416e-a9a5-7233a147b62c
https://www.legalis.net/jurisprudences/cour-dappel-de-paris-pole-5-ch-1-arret-du-8-novembre-2016/
(actual decision)

It looks bad on WIPO's part that all of these successful challenges
are not being reflected on that page. WIPO is quick to assert "record
cybersquatting" exists, yet they fail to mention the other side of the
coin, abuse of the process, reverse domain name hijacking, and the
court cases that are required to achieve justice. If Brian would get
that page updated before an election, that would be wonderful.