[gnso-rpm-wg] Dealing with unsatisfactory proposals

Paul Tattersfield gpmgroup at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 12:56:26 UTC 2018

Thank you for the reply Phillip, but it doesn’t really seem to provide a
clear mechanism for improving or removing obviously flawed proposals prior
to the initial report. This is incredibly important as it will remove
obviously flawed proposals prior to any public consultation and save a
great deal of work.

This may be better illustrated with an example: #3 requires … <i>“proposals
to be substantially specific and not general in nature. One proposal for
one recommendation only.”</i>

Proposal #22 for example is very vague as it may be targeted at all
respondents or it may be targeted at a handful of repeat offenders. If we
look at any population the overwhelming majority of people are law abiding
and only a small percentage of the population play at the edge or break the
rules. And of that small number who break the rules only a very small
percentage of those do so habitually.

#22 is very bad, because it uses the behaviour of a small minority of
miscreants as a justification to skew the framework to the advantage of a
specific interest group over the whole of their target group.

Further the verbal rationale on the call was also shockingly bad and as
such also needs to be formally addressed if #22 is going to proceed much
further.

Clearly part of, one call, attended by a small subset of working group
members is not sufficient to identify flawed proposals. We need a formal
mechanism to weed out these sorts of proposals as early as possible
otherwise we will waste a great deal of time on them simply as a result of
them progressing further.

We really should learn from what happened in the IGO/INGO WG, we don’t want
a similar disaster here.