[gnso-rpm-wg] "Lack of cause of action" followup (URS proposals #18, #19, #20)

Nat Cohen ncohen at telepathy.com
Thu Oct 11 14:28:24 UTC 2018

George,

Thanks for providing this background.

Speaking for myself, and I believe many other domain registrants, the
ability to have judicial review of any URS/UDRP decision is an important
safeguard.  Even unanimous 3-member panel UDRP transfer orders have been
overturned in court, as with the austinpain.com dispute (
http://kellywarnerlaw.com/udrp-law-ruling-overturned/).

The IGO/INGO WG just spent years wrestling with the issue of whether a
variant of the UDRP could be devised specifically for IGOs that would
indeed be the "final word".  The strongly held view of many participants in
that WG was that access to the courts for a final determination of any
issues in dispute was a fundamental right, and could not be conceded.

I support the effort to ensure that a respondent, wherever they may be in
the world, has access to judicial review of a URS decision.

Regards,

Nat Cohen