[gnso-rpm-wg] URS / UDRP proposals -- data on registrar/registry compliance costs

Mitch Stoltz mitch at eff.org
Fri Sep 7 21:13:59 UTC 2018

Cybersquatting requires bad faith. (URS Procedure 1.2.6.3). A subsequent
user could use a domain name legitimately, even if a previous user did
not. The "doctrine of inevitable confusion" does not transform a
trademark into a global right to prevent the use of a word in a domain
name for all purposes. And a finding that a domain name has been
registered in bad faith doesn't create a presumption that future
registrants will also register the domain in bad faith. So I agree with
Paul and Jonathan that the balance of equities favors a shorter suspension.
      Mitch

Mitch Stoltz
Senior Staff Attorney, EFF | 415-436-9333 x142
https://www.eff.org/donate | https://act.eff.org/