[GNSO-RPM-WG] FW: FOR YOUR INFORMATION: Request from RPM PDP co-chairs & GNSO Council leadership response

Corwin, Philip pcorwin at verisign.com
Thu Aug 22 14:07:36 UTC 2019

Paul, the consequence of the disagreement is explained in this passage from the Co-Chair’s letter:

“ Standard for recommending changes – The answer to this question is dependent on the answer to the first. Ms. Kleiman believes that if the WG reaches consensus agreement that any provision of the AGB differs materially from a related provision of the STI Report this should be regarded as an indication that implementation differs from policy and should automatically result in a recommendation that the rule revert to the STI recommendation for subsequent rounds. Mr. Beckham and Mr. Corwin agree with ICANN Staff that the STI Report does not constitute policy; while they agree that the STI Report and other background materials can be usefully referenced by the WG (and indeed spent the entirety of a recent call refreshing the WG on the STI Report), they believe that any recommendation to alter any provision of the RPMs and TMCH as codified in the AGB and having been implemented by Contracted Parties and service providers for several years now must be supported by consensus agreement within the WG on what the change should be, and we should not revert automatically to STI Report language based upon a finding that the RPMs and TMCH as in the AGB differ materially from an STI recommendation.”

Philip S. Corwin

Policy Counsel

VeriSign, Inc.

12061 Bluemont Way