[GNSO-RPM-WG] Updated Proposed Process for TMCH Sunrise & Trademark Claims Sub Teams Including Submission of Additional Data

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Feb 1 16:40:35 UTC 2019

Mary:

It would have been more productive to simply send us what work ICANN
staff has already done, if it even exists. Why not send that along, if
it exists? Today's email instead seem like a distraction, to attempt
get away from the fact that the work from August 2017 hasn't been
done. Instead working group members are being asked to step up and do
something instead.

1. to say that the current "ask" is more narrow is to say it's been
decided (by who?) that we as a PDP want **less** data (especially less
data that will challenge the status quo, and that will reveal flaws in
TMCH and Sunrise, and which doesn't overlap with other data we already
have), I never agreed to that. Folks wanted all that data, otherwise
those sources wouldn't have been sent along in August 2017. The ask is
allegedly now "narrow" only because staff failed to do what was asked
in August 2017, and due to that, there's now less time and resources
available to do what should have already been done.

In other words, folks are trying to "cushion" the latest request, to
lower expectations,  expecting now that less data will actually be
delivered (given the constraints that now exist), and then be able to
declare "success" against that lower standard.

2. you talk about data that is "not yet known" to the working group. I
see only 12 documents in the sub teams that we're reviewing currently,
and none of it was from the lists of blogs, etc. that were mentioned
in August 2017. Where are those, or are they still considered
"unknown" because ICANN staff didn't do what was asked?

3. The original suggestions were made *early on* as you say *in order
that ICANN staff could do the work*!!! That was a *feature* not a bug.
Your work was to be done in *parallel* to the surveys, and wasn't in
any way *blocked* by what the Analysis Group conducted. When was it
decided to abandon the effort? (give a specific date, and link to a
mailing list post please, as a citation).  We have the email from you
and other staff on January 9, responding to Michael K:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2019-January/003608.html

saying " However, we very quickly found that the type and volume of
the results would mean that a great deal of time and effort would be
needed to compile the full lists and categorize them as an initial
matter."

Yes, and you were given ample time!

Going on, it was written:

"staff has not proceeded further with the research – pending more
specific direction from the Working Group once analysis of the Sunrise
and Claims survey data as well as the data already available is
complete, such that the utility of such a wide-ranging and undefined
search can be clearer."

When exactly is that "direction" to be provided, given that there are
no working group calls scheduled until  *after* the deadline next week
for submission of the "data sources"?? You should have *already*
sought "direction" immediately after you decided not to proceed
further with the research (presumably in 2017). Show me how this
research by staff will ever be incorporated into the timeline that's
been established (it seems only the documents provided by next week
will).

4. I don't know how to spell it out more clearly on how to do this.
You go to Google, you do a search for:

site:thedomains.com "sunrise"
site:thedomains.com "tmch"
site:thedomains.com "clearinghouse"
site:thedomains.com "gaming"

and then you repeat that with other relevant keywords, for all the
other blogs/sources. That's what I did, as a start. Or you go to each
site and use their built-in site search. And then you scan the
results, and look for relevant articles and their comments. (lots of
false positives, but gems too as I posted yesterday)

But, feel free to pass along what you've already
researched/compiled/found. If it takes more than 30 minutes from the
time of this email to send along those already compiled
articles/posts, I'll just assume that it was research started today
(using the tips above on how to do it), rather than in August 2017.