[GNSO-RPM-WG] George Kirikos Section 3.7 appeal in RPM PDP working group

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Thu Feb 7 19:13:15 UTC 2019

Hey Phil,

We missed you at the sub team calls yesterday. I must be doing
something right, as ICANN staff paid me the highest compliment, in a
misdirected chat message:

"Berry Cobb: I'm really curious why you VRSN guys haven't hired up
Kirikos yet. ;-)  " (screen shots attached)

LOL! I'm going to frame that. If Phil is hiding out in the Verisign
bunker, perhaps one of his colleagues will print that, and bring it
over to him.

There's an excellent scene in the film "Gladiator":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfN_DEBrUVI

"MAXIMUS: You were a gladiator?
PROXIMO: Yes, I was
PROXIMO: I wasn't the best because I killed quickly. I was the best
because the crowd loved me. Win the crowd, win your freedom.
MAXIMUS: I will win the crowd. I will give them something they have
never seen before."

At yesterday's calls, the crowd was won over. As I've previously
noted, most of the grueling work of the sub teams has been done by
Kristine, Kathy, Griffin and myself. Some relevant excerpts from the
chat transcript of yesterday's sunrise sub team call:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-sunrise/2019-February/000203.html
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-sunrise/attachments/20190207/c3d4e9cb/AttendanceACchatRPMSunrise06Feb-0001.pdf

"Griffin Barnett:I support the suggestion to push back deadlines as
needed based on reasonable workloads
Kristine Dorrain:+1
Mitch Stoltz:+1
…
Griffin Barnett:I take Brian's point, but when even the most active
sub-team and WG volunteers sare saying the workload each week is
unreasonable, that needs to be accepted
…
Kristine Dorrain:I suggest that the c0-chairs propose a reasonable
goal and we see that as that...a goal.
Griffin Barnett:Indeed, a goal, not necessarily a deadline"

I think 24 hours (time since my prior post) was more than enough time
for the co-chairs to have identified the current active and binding
work plan. A competent co-chair should be able to immediately identify
the work plan that we are operating under. You've painted yourselves
into a corner, and a non-response is interpreted adversely against
you. If we were on a ship, and asked crew members where we were
heading, and what time we were set to arrive, they'd know that basic
knowledge. Certainly the captain would know that, and be able to
answer that basic question.

What we have is a leadership crisis, of their own making, when the
working group members don't know what the current work plan is, or
where we have a situation that the co-chairs are trying to disavow
what they already posted. Own it. Take responsibility for it, and be
held accountable. If you're not going to take responsibility, it means
the forms that were posted with deadlines and consequences (one
deadline is tomorrow, i.e. Friday) are illegitimate, with folks "going
rogue" to have posted them. Say so. Change the deadlines to "TBD" or
take them down, to relieve the immediate deadline pressure.

Let me throw you a lifeline, Phil. Here's a link to your resignation
letter as co-chair in the IGO PDP, which you can use as a template for
remedy (h) in the Section 3.7 appeal:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-May/001186.html

Of course, you'll have to modify that letter somewhat. I'd suggest a
desire to "spend more time with the family" as that always works.

Just like in the RPM PDP, I had invoked a section 3.7 appeal, one you
were not pleased by, and you tried to defend the indefensible. You put
up a brave front, right until the very end, e.g. 2 days prior to the
above resignation, you wrote:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-May/001165.html

trying to wiggle out of the crisis. But, eventually you had to accept
the facts, which were not on your side. We in that PDP were able to
coalesce around a consensus, despite your opposition, see:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-May/001169.html
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQgB2sY5AgaBZUHsHJJPLIsAwTFj-0i3FsammN5q-iD1QCQ_EMBC8LTzZ30TGvrf6Fw_mUvlnHa9DV9/pubhtml
(later in June)

I gave the crowd something they had never seen before in that PDP,
planted the seed that they can effectively counter "decisions" of the
chairs, that there really is a "bottom up" process, that they don't
have to be afraid to voice their concerns, and the results spoke for
themselves --  all recommendations reached consensus, a great success.
I empowered the members of the PDP. (of course, others are still
trying to undermine that successful outcome, as that final report is
stuck at the GNSO Council, which has been sitting on it since July
2018, but that's another story; hopefully this RPM PDP section 3.7
appeal will finally demonstrate to the powers that be the folly of
those kinds of arguments, how out of touch the co-chairs can be, now
that they've witnessed the lengths taken to avoid properly dealing
with the work plan in this PDP).

As Griffin rightly said "when even the most active sub-team and WG
active sub-team and WG volunteers are saying the workload each week is
unreasonable, that needs to be accepted". All the remedies sought in
the Section 3.7 appeal were carefully thought out, and reasonable.

So, here's a template for your response:

---- start of response ------------
After further consideration, the co-chairs have agreed to accept and
adopt all 9 of the remedies sought by Mr. Kirikos in his section 3.7
appeal. With immediate effect, the current deadlines for the
submission of additional data and individual proposals have been
lifted, to be determined later. We will work with the GNSO Council
leadership to transition to a new independent and professional
facilitator, but in the meantime the work of the two sub teams will
continue uninterrupted.
---- end of response ------------

Failing that, I ask that Keith, Pam and Rafik arrange a call with me
before tomorrow (Friday's) deadline for the submission of additional
data (i.e. remedy (b) in the Section 3.7 appeal was on that issue, and
that's the most immediate deadline that would affect our work) to
challenge that work plan decision.