[GNSO-RPM-WG] Proposed Process for TMCH Sunrise & Trademark Claims Sub Teams

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Wed Jan 9 04:55:07 UTC 2019

Hello Michael and everyone,

The phrase “previously-collected data” refers to all the reports, data and information that are listed under the heading “Data collected to date” in the respective Appendix to the Table of Agreed Sunrise Charter Questions & Data Collected and the Table of Agreed Trademark Claims Charter Questions & Data Collected documents, circulated to the Working Group by staff on 4 December 2018 in preparation for the Working Group’s 5 December call: https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2018-December/003549.html. As you can see, the data includes documents such as the Analysis Group’s TMCH Independent Review, the INTA Cost Impact Survey, previous input from some registries and the various reports from Deloitte.

You are right that the Working Group had early on identified additional sources of potential data – namely, news articles, research publications and blog posts (including comments thereto). As staff explained on the December 2018 call where this question was raised, staff conducted some preliminary research amongst some of these sources (primarily, some of the industry and other blogs suggested by several Working Group members). However, we very quickly found that the type and volume of the results would mean that a great deal of time and effort would be needed to compile the full lists and categorize them as an initial matter.

In addition, given the Working Group’s instructions that staff were not to conduct any sifting or analysis work but merely collate, compile and categories all entries found for further Working Group review, it seemed clear that this was a huge task for which a significant amount of Working Group (or Sub Team) time would be needed. Given that it was unclear what, exactly, the scope of the search was to be (e.g. what search terms were to be used, and what excluded) and that the Working Group soon thereafter decided to develop the data request that ultimately became the Sunrise and Claims surveys administered by the Analysis Group, staff has not proceeded further with the research – pending more specific direction from the Working Group once analysis of the Sunrise and Claims survey data as well as the data already available is complete, such that the utility of such a wide-ranging and undefined search can be clearer.

We hope this is helpful.

Thanks and cheers
Mary, Julie & Ariel