[GNSO-RPM-WG] Q#15 Transparency for the TMCH

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 20:47:02 UTC 2019

Michael,

What Marc said.

To make it clearer, a company will file for different marks in Country A
vs. Country B because they use a different subset of their total brand
portfolio in each country.

Even moving between the USA and Canada, you must have noticed products
available in one country but not the other, even though the parent company
does business in both countries.  Just try to buy a Coffee Crisp in the
States. (Due to a failed attempt to introduce Coffee Crisp several years
back, the TM may be registered here, but you get the point.)

Let’s put the “elaborate scenario” to rest and move on (unless there is
transcript or email evidence that this position was actually put forth as
an argument in favor of a closed database).

The explanation given by Marie has been the primary stated concern since
the beginning — I can remember Susan Kawaguchi stating  this about 3 years
ago.

Greg