[GNSO-RPM-WG] Proposal re Q8.

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 22:04:53 UTC 2019

Paul,

I think the point is that 6ter only creates a “negative trademark right.”
TMEP 1205.02 states if a 6ter “designation” is accepted by the USPTO, “it
is entered into the USPTO records to assist USPTO examining attorneys” and
“the designation Is assigned a serial number in the “89” series code (I.e.,
serial numbers beginning with the digits “89,” sometimes referred to as
“non-registrations”).”

This is a non-registration of a non-trademark “designation” for the sole
purpose of advising examiners of a negative right.  Not “word marks” and
not a “comprehensive level of protection.”

As for the “additional suggestion” you mention, it was not one I made, but
I suppose it was useful in assembling your parallel construction of what is
in reality an apples and oranges comparison.

In sum, there is a significant distinction between  Q7 and Q8, not a
disconnect.

Best regards,

Greg

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 5:39 PM Paul Tattersfield <gpmgroup at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Greg, it seems to me there is a disconnect between Q7 and Q8
>
> In Q7 a proposal from a major stakeholder group is asking the community to
> clarify/extend RPM protections from ‘pure’ word marks to marks with some
> ‘non pure’ word mark elements, which of course may have in some instances
> been requested as part of a registration strategy to get around the problem
> of where registration of a ‘pure’ word mark

would not initially be possible.