[GNSO-RPM-WG] Simplified language to bring together individual TMCH #4 & #5 proposals

Tushnet, Rebecca rtushnet at law.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 28 12:52:20 UTC 2020

Perhaps the problem at this point is "marks" in 3.2.4; "indications" does point more clearly at GIs. The question at this point is whether ancillary databases, including run by the TMCH provider, can include GIs, because they are currently going into the TMCH and getting Sunrise/Notice given Deloitte's interpretation. So if Paul K's objection prevails and no change is made to 3, we have the worst of both worlds.

I definitely understand Paul K's point. I do think lack of transparency is a big problem and would happily support requirements of openness for ancillary databases (as well as auditing the TMCH to make sure that only 3.2.1-.3 matter is going in for Notice/Sunrise).   I would have preferred being more specific that 3.2.4 matter is not eligible for Notice & Sunrise (and would certainly be happy to include that as a crossreference), but the rules overall are pretty clear on that if read as a whole.

Rebecca Tushnet
Frank Stanton Professor of First Amendment Law, Harvard Law School
703 593 6759