[Gnso-sc-budget] Travel Reports Now Meaningless, as Useful Data has been Redacted

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Wed Aug 8 14:56:15 UTC 2018

Sharing this for information purposes, and because it may be of interest to subscribers of this list—

The travel reports that ICANN org publishes are now meaningless, because all the relevant information has been redacted.

The explanation that was provided for this change is as follows:

> In light of recent changes in privacy regulations, ICANN Travel Support is making enhancements to the Travel Reports that are published for every meeting for our funded travelers. Moving forward, ICANN will publish the overall cost per group and will be redacting the individual cost per traveler. This change will be reflected on ICANN62 Travel Report and subsequent reports moving forward.

Source: https://community.icann.org/display/trvlconstit/Travel+Report

Presumably the ‘privacy regulations’ this refers to is the GDPR, which does not actually require that this data be redacted.

Per page 19, it cost USD 24,804.03 to bring five NextGen Ambassadors to Panama, which at an average of $4,960 a traveler, was substantially more than the average cost per GNSO traveler (which was $2,518/traveler). Without additional data it is difficult to understand why the average cost was so much higher. Was it one traveler whose airfare was disproportionately expensive, or is it something more systematic?

I would like to see the travel reports continue to be published in a way that is meaningful, while all of course compliant with the GDPR. If anyone has some suggestions as to how this issue could be taken forward, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Many thanks,

Ayden