[Gnso-sc-budget] Revised Comment Outline

John McElwaine john.mcelwaine at nelsonmullins.com
Wed Jan 19 13:52:17 UTC 2022

Use this link:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I_dec-ZrJN98pv8LDffCBornArTaUHqE/edit

From: John McElwaine
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2022 4:31 PM
To: gnso-sc-budget at icann.org
Subject: Revised Comment Outline

Dear SCBO,

The revied comment can be found here<Creighton,>.  You will note that I have left it in redlines, which we will go over on the call tomorrow.  For the ease of your review, we will be discussing the following items:

  1.  Remove of repetitive and old statements from General Comments section.
  2.  OFP Issue 1.  Maintain adequate staffing for Policy Development Support.  This needs to be update to include IRT and whether the GNSO Council wants to comment on understanding if (i) these FTEs are dedicated to policy development and (ii) adequate for the workload.
  3.  OFP Issue 1.  Strategic Priority should be given to collaboration between the GNSO Council, ICANN Org's Policy Development Support and the ICANN Board and Community on prioritization and planning for anticipated future work.  This has been partially satisfied.  Are there remaining issues.
  4.  OFP Issue 3.  Examine the benefits of Face-to-Face Meetings.  This has been done and we are returning to normal planning.
  5.  OFP Issue 4.  Ensure that the annual Operation and Financial Plan provides Working Group Chairs with tools and support to ensure effective and efficient leadership.  Revised to discuss forward looking policy development needs.
  6.  OFP Issue 5.  Adequately funding planning and project management oversight.
  7.  Budget Issue 1.  The initiatives, tools and resources associated with PDP 3.0 should be explicitly individualized in the activities.  PDP 3.0 has been implemented.
  8.  Budget Issue 2.  Maintain adequate staffing for Policy Development Support.  Increase was shown this year.
  9.  Budget Issue 3.  Do we feel that Policy Research is adequately funded.
  10. Budget Issue 4.  With respect to Constituent Travel functional activity, the GNSO Council suggested that criteria be explained or that all events be listed.  More detail has been provided.
  11. Budget Issue 5.  Is a 4% contingency sufficient.  Perhaps discuss SPCFIR?
  12. Budget Issue 5.  Incremental initiatives have been removed from the FY23 budget.

Please feel free to raise any other issue or concerns not covered so far on the call.

Kind regards,

John

Confidentiality Notice
This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately either by phone (800-237-2000) or reply to this e-mail and delete all copies of this message.