[Gnso-ssc] Recordings, Attendance & AC Chat from GNSO Standing Selection Committee call on 07 June 2017 at 14:00 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Wed Jun 7 16:45:27 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find below the mp3, attendance, Adobe Connect recording and chat for
the GNSO Standing Selection Committee held on 07 June 2017 at 14:00 UTC.

Mp3:   http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ssc-07jun17-en.mp3

AC recording:
<https://participate.icann.org/p80jesd858l/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=1d0b66cd3929354d
21560731d101913a0a7092f23edd328723cd77441b3653ca>
https://participate.icann.org/p80jesd858l/

Calendar page:  <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-ssc/

Agenda Wiki page:     <https://community.icann.org/x/0zbwAw>
https://community.icann.org/x/0zbwAw

Attendees:

Frederic Guilemaut

Maxim Alzoba

Julf Helsingius

Poncelet Illelji

Susan Kawaguchi

Osvaldo Novoa

Lori Schulman

Apologies:

None

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Emily Barabas

Terri Agnew

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 07 June 2017

    Marika Konings:Welcome to the SSC meeting of 7 June 2017

  Terri Agnew:Agenda wiki page:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_0
zbwAw
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_
0zbwAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpC
IgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=KdA3jN7LQqAhyQiJtt5Xlr-5lPraACKOcSjU-3uSCW
w&s=m3rlW7-hGxfnXq_hf1smO2BNn9eFyq8MR5nHgTy63Gs&e>
&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=KdA3jN7LQqAhyQiJtt5Xlr-5lPraACKOcSjU-3uSCWw&s=m3
rlW7-hGxfnXq_hf1smO2BNn9eFyq8MR5nHgTy63Gs&e=

  Julf Helsingius:Just wrapping up previous call...

  Frederic Guillemaut:Hello Everybody,

  Susan Kawaguchi:I am waiting for a dial out sorry for the delay

  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello all

  Marika Konings:It may also be worth noting that at the moment almost all
reps are SO/AC chairs who are also involved in planning so that may help
avoiding conflict as well :-)

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Lori Schulman

  Lori Schulman:My apologies for being late

  Poncelet Ileleji:Thanks for the note Marika

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Maxim Alzoba

  Maxim Alzoba:Hello All, sorry for being bit late (it took few minutes to
connect)

  Marika Konings:Under A it would be considered a shared responsibility of
the GNSO Leadership Team. Term limits would be linked to their term as
Chair/Vice-Chair and/or appointment to the Council.

  Marika Konings:I think the GAC appointment may also still be interim, but
I am not a 100% of that

  Marika Konings:one advantage of the Chair would be that he/she is already
accustomed to the responsibility of representing the GNSO Council and are
aware of this notion that they are their in a representative position and
not an individual one

  Julf Helsingius:I agree

  Emily Barabas:The ccNSO rep is not chair, but a member of the ccNSO, as
the chair was not interested in the position

  Emily Barabas:*member of the ccNSO Council

  Maxim Alzoba:yes

  Marika Konings:so default option for the ccNSO is the chair, with fall
back option a member of the ccNSO Council in case the chair is not available
/ willing?

  Emily Barabas:Yes

  Emily Barabas:that is my understanding

  Marika Konings:one chair and two vice-chairs

  Marika Konings:all one year, but renewable

  Marika Konings:if I am not mistaken

  Marika Konings:allowing the leadership to figure it out would allow for
spreading out to work

  Marika Konings:depending on their other responsibilities and work load

  Maxim Alzoba:my understanding of James was that 2 vice chairs were enough

  Marika Konings:No, I don't think so - I think he is term limited by the
end of this year?

  Maxim Alzoba:in case GNSO Chair is not selected, then one rep. from  GNSO
Council ?

  Maxim Alzoba:why are we talking about the Term? I think it is bit early
for that

  Julf Helsingius:We are talking about term in case all 3 of the current
leadership all are ending their term

  Maxim Alzoba:Can it be resolved by "Appointed by GNSO Chair, or by GNSO
Council in case where the Chair is not elected or can not act due to
physical reasons"?

  Maxim Alzoba:and when new rep. is selected - question of Term is not
important anymore

  Maxim Alzoba:GNSO Council will not allow us to decide for them anyway

  Marika Konings:having it as a joint responsibility for the leadership team
would also have the advantage of ensuring that there is representation from
accross the GNSO houses?

  Julf Helsingius:I am not that bothered with representation, considering
the position has no power

  Marika Konings:right - but just in case if there is concern someone would
go beyond what they are supposed to do ;-)

  Poncelet Ileleji:am not

  Maxim Alzoba:there could be only one -but given the absence of freedom to
act - it is not so important, from which house comes the rep.

  Osvaldo Novoa:I would prefer not to, but I would go along with this
proposal

  Lori Schulman:I am not sure abouth that

  Maxim Alzoba:we can not choose few

  Frederic Guillemaut:are we going to  finalise the desicion now ? or will
we have a draft at the end of the meeting .

  Maxim Alzoba:I am in favour of A

  Frederic Guillemaut:A is fine

  Maxim Alzoba:I will have to drop 5 minutes to the top of the hour (RySG
call right next after this one)

  Julf Helsingius:I am in favour of A too

  Marika Konings:@Maxim - I don't think anything would prevent from the GNSO
to designate the Council leadership and indicate that they amongst
themselves would ensure that for every EC Admin meeting there would be one
of them there to represent the GNSO? We can check with our legal colleagues
whether that would be an issue, but it appears it is up to the Decisional
Participants who / how to appoint.

  Julf Helsingius:I don't see it as a leadership role

  Julf Helsingius:it is more like a liaison

  Marika Konings:the proposal is that the leadership team would work out
amongst themselves who would be the representative and/or how to share the
responsibilities of this role.

  Maxim Alzoba:it would be nice If we do not forget to add notice of "there
is a need of creation of a fast-replacement of the GNSO Rep. to EC
Adm.(situations where the current Rep. can not show up / carry out actions
required by the role)"

  Maxim Alzoba:About rotation: I am not sure how the Chair is going to
rotate if he/she choose to be the EC Adm. Rep. from GNSO

  Lori Schulman:I think that the point of trust is good one

  Maxim Alzoba:James asked for simple solution , not for extremly complex
one

  Maxim Alzoba:I think we need to add this as a side note - that the need
was identified

  Maxim Alzoba:yes - whitout words on who needs to design it or how it
should be designed (it is outside of our role)

  Lori Schulman:if we propose to go the scenario A route the we can note we
considered the NCPH/CPH issue but recommend that it is not helpful here due
to duties and need for clear, simple solution and trust in leadership

  Julf Helsingius:i agree

  Julf Helsingius:both, actually :)

  Lori Schulman:world peace

  Lori Schulman:sorry

  Julf Helsingius:good luck! :9

  Frederic Guillemaut:it might take some more meetings

  Poncelet Ileleji:Should we have a time SChedule prior to communicating

  Lori Schulman:I will be at the WSIS but will see if I can break away

  Maxim Alzoba:few meetings , I think

  Frederic Guillemaut:i'll be available

  Lori Schulman:INTA is on 3 panels including ICANN panel

  Marika Konings:Yes, it probably would

  Marika Konings:staff could write up the recommendation in the form of a
motion for the SSC's review?

  Poncelet Ileleji:Okay that sounds good to me Marika the suggestion +1

  Julf Helsingius:nothing from me

  Frederic Guillemaut:good work.

  Lori Schulman:Thanks for your great Leadership Susan

  Lori Schulman:and Marika

  Maxim Alzoba:bye all, need to drop

  Frederic Guillemaut:Thank you, bye all !

  Lori Schulman:ciao

  Osvaldo Novoa:Thank you and bye

  Julf Helsingius:Thank you everyone!

  Poncelet Ileleji:Bye everyone