[Gnso-ssc] Recordings, Attendance & AC Chat from GNSO Standing Selection Committee call on 15 May 2017 at 13:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Mon May 15 17:30:22 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find below the mp3, attendance, Adobe Connect recording and chat for the GNSO Standing Selection Committee held on 15 May 2017 at 13:00 UTC

Mp3: https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ssc-15may17-en.mp3

<Monark%20Panchal%20commented%20on%20ticket%20#267594
Hello%20Michelle,

The%20request%20has%20been%20completed:

https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#may[mailer.samanage.com]%20
https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ssc-15may17-en.mp3[mailer.samanage.com]>

AC recording: https://participate.icann.org/p891o5tzgib/<https://participate.icann.org/p891o5tzgib/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=adafe81581d64faa1c522c7df75a296bd1944eab0fa9de6de3c681a267bc868e>
<applewebdata://D3C67AB3-A378-4B49-868D-C06F7218C9E9/%0bhttps:/participate.icann.org/p73kn3lhxcu/>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar&d=DQMFAg&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=xZIJEMTVQJAaGhrSEs-mGNP1af5ZhtLo5tjqyJUr5j4&s=zi8HqkcJPzyRZtbiQ-TlsxBQhcExCdcb-3Ezk1dDjec&e=>

Wiki page:   https://community.icann.org/x/uQ-fAw

Attendees:

Frederic Guilemaut

Maxim Alzoba

Julf Helsingius

Poncelet Illelji

Osvaldo Novoa

Renate Ribeira Aquino

Apologies:

Lori Schulman

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Emily Barabas

Michelle DeSmyter

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 15 May 2017

Michelle DeSmyter:Dear all, welcome to the GNSO Standing Selection Committee teleconference on Monday, 15 May 2017 at 13:00 UTC
  Michelle DeSmyter:Meeting page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_uQ-2DfAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=H45Ku18QSl0G8khsdsR1rDsgs53f5I0YyMAApT8rNK0&s=LgLwHM--hL54CqREpUNn3LKICCfBVCRmGkXlN9IX2LM&e=
  Maxim Alzoba:Hello All
  Julf Helsingius:For some reason AC doesn't allow me to connect my mic, will have to dial in
  Maxim Alzoba:Michelle, could you request dial out to +7 925 3010241 (so I can properly participate via audio too)
  Michelle DeSmyter:try your AC now, does this work?
  Maxim Alzoba:I have noisy background, need to use phone with throat mic
  Marika Konings:Hi all - waiting for a dial-out. Should be with you shortly.
  Michelle DeSmyter:not a problem - I will let the operator know
  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello all
  Maxim Alzoba:thanks
  Julf Helsingius:Michelle: not sure what you did, but it worked, on ACV with computer mic now
  Maxim Alzoba:@Michelle, Do you know if the operator has tried to dial out yet?
  Poncelet Ileleji:Proceed with Chairing for me +1
  Osvaldo Novoa:I am OK with your chair, and thank you for it.
  Maxim Alzoba:I am not against the current Chair.
  Maxim Alzoba:@Michelle, the dial out works, thanks.
  Julf Helsingius:Hopefully we don't all 3 go for the same positions :)
  Osvaldo Novoa:I am Ok with two vice chairs
  Poncelet Ileleji:Agreed
  Maxim Alzoba:Thanks, Julf for bringing it to us.
  Marika Konings:the ccNSO letter indicated that they didn't feel they could confirm any nomination without knowing the exact scope of the RDS RT
  Maxim Alzoba:As a participant of RDS PDP ... we have some issues with precise identifications :)
  Maxim Alzoba:there
  Marika Konings:https://ccnso.icann.org/about/sataki-to-crocker-04may17-en.pdf
  Marika Konings:"After a discussion at its meeting on 13 April 2017, the ccNSO Council decided to defer participation of the ccNSO in the RDS-WHOIS2 review until the scope of the review is defined."
  Marika Konings:so I guess this leaves the door open to participate once scope is defined?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:hi apologies on being late
  Maxim Alzoba:RDS itself is still in early pre-design era
  Maxim Alzoba:RDS PDP is still working with principles and definitions (not yet on design implementations)
  Poncelet Ileleji:Agreed Marika
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:y
  Julf Helsingius:We can hear you, but you are distorting badly
  Marika Konings:Maxim, you need to speak a bit further away from the microphone. It is difficult to hear you.
  Julf Helsingius:mic gain on too high?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:y
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:hard time
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:better type
  Michelle DeSmyter:I can have an operator dial out to you if need be, please let me know
  Maxim Alzoba:I hear you well - the issue is with the current phone/mic contact
  Marika Konings:On dial-out, audio quality is usually better so please be encouraged.
  Osvaldo Novoa:I think that the ccNSO guideline is a very good base to start with. I find it very clear.
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:osvaldo can we have access to it?
  Julf Helsingius:So I guess we need a good communicator
  Emily Barabas:These slides and the background paper on this topic are available here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_uQ-2DfAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=H45Ku18QSl0G8khsdsR1rDsgs53f5I0YyMAApT8rNK0&s=LgLwHM--hL54CqREpUNn3LKICCfBVCRmGkXlN9IX2LM&e=
  Guillemaut:Hello All, sorry for the delay.
  Maxim Alzoba:with new dial out I think I will be able to be heard via phone
  Susan Kawaguchi:Welcom Guillemaut
  Osvaldo Novoa:@Renata:  In the notes to the right of the screen is the link, it is also in the document Marika sent us.
  Emily Barabas:These slides and the background paper on this topic are available here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_uQ-2DfAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=H45Ku18QSl0G8khsdsR1rDsgs53f5I0YyMAApT8rNK0&s=LgLwHM--hL54CqREpUNn3LKICCfBVCRmGkXlN9IX2LM&e=
  Marika Konings:the ccNSO guideline was also referenced in the background paper that was distributed last week.
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:garbled a bit
  Maxim Alzoba:oh, I thought it is about offline exchange of messages during the Forum
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:ok
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:the 4th is a biggie
  Maxim Alzoba:the second was more note than the question
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:(item)
  Emily Barabas:ccNSO Guideline: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ccnso.icann.org_workinggroups_ccnso-2Drep-2Dec-2Dappointment-2Dguidelines-2D01sep16-2Den.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=H45Ku18QSl0G8khsdsR1rDsgs53f5I0YyMAApT8rNK0&s=xDTFN4u1RlelcoVM8yYUcVcS7303BpQ9-v9nyXKJEZY&e=
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:emily tks
  Marika Konings:From the Bylaws: "The EC Administration shall manage and moderate the Approval Action Community Forum in a fair and neutral manner."
  Maxim Alzoba:about basic understanding of financial operations for candidates into "5" - they will need to be able "• Approve Fundamental Bylaw and Articles amendments, and Asset Sales "
  Maxim Alzoba:to approce asset sales it is good to be aware of the basic ideas in finances
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:so ec rep will approve stuff on community forum w/out going through GNSO council too
  Marika Konings:@Renate - no
  Osvaldo Novoa:Sorry, I lost my internet connection for some minutes.
  Maxim Alzoba:yes
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:tks marika
  Maxim Alzoba:at least we need to ask
  Osvaldo Novoa:The EC representative cannot take any decision without the GNSO Council authorization.
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:ok so a good communicator y
  Maxim Alzoba:before alerting GNSO the candidate needs to understand that there is an issue
  Osvaldo Novoa:Just enough to undertand it.  But it would be the same for any topic to be discussed.
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:he/she would convey arguments but have no decisional polwer maybe?
  Julf Helsingius:There won't be issues to be missed.
  Julf Helsingius:The "issue" would be someone asking for action
  Osvaldo Novoa:The EC representative is just the way of communication between the EC and the GNSO Council
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:y
  Guillemaut:do we have any former ambassador for this role ?,
  Marika Konings:Exactly Osvaldo
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:liason?
  Guillemaut:someone wnho used to work in a embassy
  Guillemaut:un ambassadeur
  Maxim Alzoba:I think it is the first time for EC "5" to be summoned, am I right?
  Osvaldo Novoa:I think that a fairly inteligent person with good communications skills would be the ideal.
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:i think a good writer would do
  Marika Konings:@Renate - no writing involved as the rep to the EC Admin would just pass on the Council motions / decisions.
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:ok
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:so agree w/ osvaldo
  Maxim Alzoba:policits are good at not answering while talking, I think there is more of a liasion between , for example GNSO and EC "5"
  Poncelet Ileleji:So does this main the individual must have all the prerequisite knowledge of the GNSO prior to taken up this role.  So with this its easy to narrow the candidates as it can come from the Chair
  Marika Konings:main role is conveying GNSO Council decisions, so familiarity with GNSO Council actions may be key?
  Poncelet Ileleji:mean I meant
  Osvaldo Novoa:We don't know the work load of the EC representative, I would prefer a person with no position in the Council, in order to be dedicated to this work.
  Julf Helsingius:A former council member would probably be perfect
  Osvaldo Novoa:+1 Julf
  Maxim Alzoba:Who is in charge of assessment of the GNSO candidates for the EC seat? is it just GNSO Council or is it SSC and then GNSO Council?
  Maxim Alzoba:if there is more than 1
  Marika Konings:@Maxim - SSC is first expected to propose the criteria and process for GNSO Council approval. Following that it would likely ask the SSC to run the selection process following which the Council would confirm the appointment.
  Maxim Alzoba:ok
  Marika Konings:To clarify further in relation to the community forum, The EC Admin gets to manage the Community Forum but it doesn’t get to decide anything else other than format. Similarly, the Forum itself is NOT a decisional body - it is merely the means by which the EC (all five decisional participants) get to discuss the Approval Action in question.
  Maxim Alzoba:Could we suggest inclusion of "letters of support " from GNSO bodies as an additional selection criterion?
  Maxim Alzoba:to exclude issues with not-so GNSO candidates (as the last time)
  Guillemaut:+1
  Julf Helsingius:As long as the NCA's count as a (virtual) body
  Maxim Alzoba:when we had 3 persons assisiated themself with the GNSO without proper support or affiliation
  Julf Helsingius:For the letters of support
  Marika Konings:You may first want to discuss whether the chair is the default or the back-up, and then in either case determine what the criteria are for any other person that may want to be considered?
  Maxim Alzoba:I think it is up to GNSO Council to assess if the support is good enough for GNSO
  Julf Helsingius:probably too detailed, yes
  Maxim Alzoba:could we limit now to the "basic idea - to mark who has GNSO affiliation and support" and we supply GNSO Council with that ... so they can make better choice
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:a support to the chair
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:chair would be an emergency intervention
  Marika Konings:note that in a GNSO Council context, there are also the Council vice-chairs that could be considered?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:sorry susan, to explain myself more clearly: not really putting chair up to this but to oversee whoever will do this
  Maxim Alzoba:I think that the person is up to GNSO Council ... so all we can do -is tp suggest what to do in situation where
  Maxim Alzoba:they might need other selection
  Maxim Alzoba:than the GNSO Chair (for whatsoever reason they might have by that time)
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:y workload increase is on the horizon
  Marika Konings:doodle poll for a next meeting next week?
  Marika Konings:yes
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:y
  Poncelet Ileleji:I think the time should be like today
  Maxim Alzoba:few days and  few hour slots each
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:y
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:y
  Julf Helsingius:Time slot is great
  Maxim Alzoba:bad timeslot for me
  Guillemaut:ok
  Julf Helsingius:Next week is a problem for me
  Guillemaut:ok for me
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:ok tks
  Julf Helsingius:Thanks!
  Osvaldo Novoa:Thank you and bye