[Gnso-ssc] Recordings, attendance & AC Chat from GNSO Standing Selection Committee call on Wednesday, 31 May 2017 14:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Wed May 31 19:11:59 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find below the mp3, attendance, Adobe Connect recording and chat for the GNSO Standing Selection Committee held on 31 May 2017 at 14:00 UTC

Mp3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ssc-31may17-en.mp3

AC recording: https://participate.icann.org/p77493uq9d7/

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar&d=DQMFAg&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=xZIJEMTVQJAaGhrSEs-mGNP1af5ZhtLo5tjqyJUr5j4&s=zi8HqkcJPzyRZtbiQ-TlsxBQhcExCdcb-3Ezk1dDjec&e=>

Wiki page:   https://community.icann.org/x/5yPwAw

Attendees:

Maxim Alzoba

Julf Helsingius

Osvaldo Novoa

Lori Schulman

Renate Ribeira Aquino

Susan Kawaguchi

James Bladel

Apologies:

Frederic Guillemaut
Marika Konings (staff)

ICANN staff:

Emily Barabas

Michelle DeSmyter

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 31 May 2017

Michelle DeSmyter:Welcome to the GNSO Standing Selection Committee meeting on Wednesday 31 May at 14.00 UTC
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_5yPwAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=cr3lnjgM6KWyH5x4GyJRLSXf3O8LVVaQ_J1Plc-igNA&s=kuFSJLn7RDHucO1B3GN_eAwTAcFay10lidBM4B2MLHs&e=
  Michelle DeSmyter:HI there Maxim!!
  Michelle DeSmyter:Yes
  Maxim Alzoba:quality issues?
  Maxim Alzoba:good
  Maxim Alzoba:I have a suggestion for page 2:Term and Renewal  - that the person is still affiliated with GNSO Council or at least with GNSO
  Emily Barabas:Great. I will add to the notes and we can discuss when we get to that agenda item.
  Maxim Alzoba:Please add to my suggestion (afiliated/supported by) , so in case where the person was approved by the GNSO Council and formally have no current affiliation, the Council can still use the services of the person
  Maxim Alzoba:and the ending - or at least affiliatedwith GNSO
  Julf Helsingius:Not sure of how "affiliated with GNSO" is defined/interpreted
  Maxim Alzoba:My thinking was to show that the person still have some degree of connection with GNSO
  James Bladel:Thanks!  Connecting audio.....
  Maxim Alzoba:for example - member of NCSG, RrSG e.t.c
  Maxim Alzoba:Hello James
  Lori Schulman:Hi Folks.  I should be on more regularly now that INTA Annual Meeting is over.
  Maxim Alzoba:Hi Lori
  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello all, sorry I am a bit late
  Julf Helsingius:I was going to ask the same
  Emily Barabas::)
  Emily Barabas:Thanks James
  Maxim Alzoba:Could we suggest that ICANN provides remote connection (private) for remote participants?
  Maxim Alzoba:for EC meetings
  Maxim Alzoba:since travel is not suggested
  Julf Helsingius:remote connection?
  Maxim Alzoba:I mean if there is a f2f EC Adm. meeting - ans someone is not there
  Maxim Alzoba:during the ICANN meeting
  Julf Helsingius:Ok, thanks for the clarification
  Julf Helsingius:You can never be sure about a cat....
  Susan Kawaguchi:especially this cat
  Renata Aquino:hi
  Maxim Alzoba:I think we might mention that we thin that those procedures are to be developed (not saying how and by whom)
  James Bladel:+1 Maxim
  Maxim Alzoba:*think (sorry for typos ... sitting in uncommon place)
  Julf Helsingius:James: would it be too much workload if we simply had the GNSO chair perform this function?
  Lori Schulman:I think that first test will be budget review
  Renata Aquino:thanks
  Emily Barabas:Thanks for joining, James
  Maxim Alzoba:my question for James: it is not just time consumption, but also scheduling conflicts (with GNSO Council activities), could we ask James if he is sure that there is not going to be an overlap (so during the ICANN meeting ,ICANN always provides EC Adm with the non-conflicting slots, so Chair can be there)
  Maxim Alzoba:*about the burden of being GNSO EC rep.
  Lori Schulman:Thanks, I heard James supporting the narrow task of identifying candidates but I agree about sending notes of some issues that we have considered that may be out of scope for this group but in scope for another group
  Lori Schulman:Maxim's point about time overlaps is a good one
  Maxim Alzoba:if such slots can not be granted ... then standby Rep should be in place
  Julf Helsingius:james pointed out that scheduling is done by doodle
  Lori Schulman:Excellent point Maxim.
  Lori Schulman:and there are still conflicts
  Maxim Alzoba:be back in a minute
  Maxim Alzoba:back
  Lori Schulman:is Heather the alternate?
  Julf Helsingius:I pretty much asked that
  Maxim Alzoba:I suggest we need voices of all members - so we could discuss the list, but will need a poll (preferrably choices and - "other answer" with suggestion in the text field)
  Maxim Alzoba:*the current list of questions in PDF
  Emily Barabas:Staff can certainly set up a poll if the group would like to do that
  Julf Helsingius:I support keeping things simple
  Emily Barabas:@Lori, I'm not sure if there is an official standing alternate, but I will find out.
  Lori Schulman:Sorry Julf, my recall is failing me today and I apologize for repeating the question
  Julf Helsingius:Lori: no prob, it wasn't entirely clear
  Lori Schulman:I think that finding out if there is an "official" alternate would be helpful so we understand what is acutally happening
  Maxim Alzoba:issue of Term will be resolved via "fast removal" procedure we might suggets to invent
  Julf Helsingius:Current arrangement is temporary in any case
  Julf Helsingius:I like "anyone in the leadership team"
  Maxim Alzoba:I think that scheduling conflicts usually happen at moments of high load, like right prior to Fin Plan discussions deadline e.t.c
  Julf Helsingius:"anyone in the leadership team" avoids us having to come up with new procedures
  Maxim Alzoba:@Julf, du you think we might add " with approval of GNSO Chair, and if not possible for natural reasions - by GNSO Council) ?
  Maxim Alzoba:*do
  Julf Helsingius:Sure!
  Maxim Alzoba:I am not sure "SSC selects GNSO leaders" is correct ... I thought is was more like "recommends to use GNSO leadership as an pool for EC ADM reps"
  Lori Schulman:agree with Maxim. SSC nominates
  Lori Schulman:not chooses
  Maxim Alzoba:Thanks all, see you next time
  Lori Schulman:how do we handle members who are nominated to other teams?
  Lori Schulman:thanks
  Maxim Alzoba:@Lori, I think they usually step down for a moment
  Julf Helsingius:Thank you all!
  Osvaldo Novoa:Bye