[Gnso-ssc] Follow-up on yesterday discussion

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 08:23:53 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Thanks for a productive discussion yesterday on the SSC call and thank you
to those who flagged that there is an ambiguity in the text of the call for
volunteers that was adopted by Council. Council leadership had a discussion
about the ambiguity, the RySG’s interpretation, and the next steps
suggested on the SSC call.

Working with staff, we did some additional research to confirm both the
intent of original recommendations coming out of the GAC-GNSO Consultation
Group (whose outputs serve as a basis for the role and associated
documentation) and the call for volunteers process as implemented in
previous years. While the current text in the call for volunteers may be
less clear than it should, we understand that the Consultation Group’s
intent, as reflected in its outputs and implemented through previous
application processes, is that applications should be channeled through
SG/Cs and not be submitted by individuals.

Based on this, we have directed staff to clarify the process and provide a
one week extension to SG/Cs, and have approved the following message to be
sent to the SG/C leaders:

"There has been a request to clarify who may submit applications for the
role of GNSO Liaison to the GAC. The leadership of each Stakeholder Group /
Constituency has the opportunity to submit the application of one or more
candidate(s) it supports for the role, but it is not required to submit any
applications. Consistent with the original recommendation of the GAC-GNSO
Consultation Group and previous practice, applications will not be accepted
from individuals for this process. If an individual attempts to submit an
application, they will be requested to contact the leadership of their
SG/C. The deadline for submitting applications has been extended to 7
September 2020 to accommodate SG/Cs who may need additional time to
consider candidates before the deadline."

We hope that this message will provide the necessary clarification. I look
forward to working with you all on the next steps of this selection process
in the coming weeks.

Best Regards,

Rafik