[Gnso-subteam0b-policyimpl] Draft principles - comments

Tom Barrett tbarrett at encirca.com
Tue Dec 10 03:02:22 UTC 2013

It would be helpful for me to see how group members would apply the P&I
principles to two real-life situations.  For background info, see
domainincite.com.

1. How to resolve the .islam and .halal TLDs.

According to domainincite, "ICANN is going to have to decide whether to
approve the new gTLDs .islam and .halal, after the Governmental Advisory
Committee punted the issue."

2.  The proposal from the Brand Registry Group regarding dotbrand rules.

According to domainincite, "The proposed changes were negotiated by ICANN
and the Brand Registry Group, a coalition of dot-brand applicants that one
day plans to become a formal part of ICANN's policy-making structure."

I would be interested in hearing how others would frame these two
situations:

a.       How would you apply the P&I principles for these two items?

b.      When (if at all) should the GNSO participate in these two items?
Why or why not?

c.       Regarding the dotbrand rules: Was this "call for public comment" by
ICANN the appropriate next step for the BRG proposal?  Why or why not?

Thomas Barrett

EnCirca, Inc.  - President

400 West Cummings Park, #1725

Woburn, MA US 01801