[Gnso-subteam0b-policyimpl] MP3 Policy and Implementation Principles Sub Team - Thursday 30 January 2014

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Thu Jan 30 22:37:23 UTC 2014

 Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working Principles Sub-Team call held on Thursday 30 January 2014 at 21:00 UTC:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140130-en.mp3

Attendees:
Cheryl Langdon-Orr - ALAC
Chuck Gomes- RySG
Alan Greenberg - At-Large
Avri Doria - NCSG
Tom Barrett - RrSG
 Greg Shatan - IPC

Apologies:
Michael Graham - IPC
Nic Steinbach- RrSG
 Marika Konings

ICANN staff:
Mary Wong
Nathalie Peregrine

Wiki page:https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Nathalie Peregrine
For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 30 January 2014:

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Principles (0B) Sub-Team meeting on the 30th of January 2014 at 2100 UTC

  Alan Greenberg:Dialing in now.

  Greg Shatan:Also dialing in.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:correct

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I'm ok with switching community with stakeholder that does help in the clarification/classification

  Avri Doria:we may have to provide a definition of impact analysis.  and i volunteer if we need to do so.

  Mary Wong 2:@Avri, that could be helpful; we can include a proposed definition in a footnote to that phrase for the full WG.

  Avri Doria:ok, i will take it a an action for next week.  hope i remmber before the last minute.

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:i will need to call in.

  Alan Greenberg:Back

  Avri Doria:Stakeholder Impact Analysis: Assessment of the effect of policy and implementation outcomes in light of their possible consequences on ICANN stakeholders.

  Avri Doria:that was the footnote, that was requested y Mary.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:leave

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr::-) :-) :-)

  Avri Doria:unnecessary for chair to keep self naming.

  Avri Doria:but i have been repremanded for that beleif.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:exactly  @chuck

  Avri Doria:can we have scrolling ability

  Mary Wong 2:Hi Avri - b/c I'm sharing my screen to edit I don't think so; if I uploaded the document as is in PDF then that can work (I believe).

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I prefer belts and baces on this

  Avri Doria:ok, of course makes sense.  thanks

  Greg Shatan:braces = suspenders...

  Greg Shatan:The lawyer and the philosopher agree on this.

  Mary Wong 2:@Greg, I agree! :)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bloody help I concede

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:should read bloody hell

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr::-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

  Avri Doria:Greg, they often do, exccept for when they don't.

  Mary Wong 2:@Avri, @Greg, that must be why I often felt confused during jurisprudence classes at law school!

  Avri Doria:Law is rooted in words on the paper.  Philosphy is rooted in anything you can make sense.

  Avri Doria:When everything is not bottom up how do you know when you have a bottom up situation.

  Greg Shatan:Hand-jacking!!!

  Mary Wong 2:LOL

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:oh dear remember you have an aussie here Greg;-)

  Avri Doria:it did not take being australian

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr::-)

  Avri Doria:i think that once an impact is noticed, by whomever, that an ICANN action will affect, and when that impact has not already been handled, then there is an issue that requires bottom-up process.

  Greg Shatan:Perhaps an infelicitous turn of phrase.... :-)

  Avri Doria:transparency plus an alram system for the community.

  Avri Doria:We proabably will only need to do lawyerly reading when we end up in court.  and that is ok, becasuee then there is a judge.

  Alan Greenberg:alarm system should be fall-back, with preferably something helping to make the first call.

  Avri Doria:substantial is fine with me, but like approproate it means almost nothing, but feels good.

  Avri Doria:should means (to me) that it is not must becasue sometimes there is a good reason not to di it.

  Avri Doria:... do it

  Avri Doria:i see should and must as real words with real meanings.  not like substantivve.

  Avri Doria:i think recognized is better.  determine happens after someone notices there is an issue.

  Alan Greenberg:Avri, I agree with you. I too think that recognize is better, but I am getting worn down by this word-by-word analysys

  Greg Shatan:Suggest recognize/may

  Mary Wong 2:To avoid giving everyone headaches I'll move the principle just discussed to the Implementation section after this call.

  Alan Greenberg:Sounds like a footnote to the original text!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:sorry team need to leave now can we start next week reviewing this text section please after airing it to the list of course

  Avri Doria:the footnote idea is good.

  Avri Doria:hey if we are late, we can meet twice weekly.

  Avri Doria:oh, darn i was supposed to send in definiton comments.

  Mary Wong 2:The Definitions sub-team is meeting again on Monday to discuss the WG feedback.

  Avri Doria:ok, so the latest stuff to comment on is on the main list?

  Mary Wong 2:@Avri I'll resend the latest doc to you.

  Avri Doria:Mary, thanks

  Nathalie  Peregrine:of course, noted

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:bye everyone