[GNSO-TPR] Notes and action items - TPR WG Meeting #22 - 19 Oct 2021

Knight, Barbara bknight at verisign.com
Thu Oct 21 14:06:21 UTC 2021

All,

I was able to get some additional background relating to the 60 day lock after creation of a domain name.  From Verisign’s perspective, this is definitely legacy as a form of this restriction has been in our RA and enforced by the registry since 1999. It is my understanding, from a conversation with someone who pre-dates me here at Verisign, that this was originally created as a registrar protection to prevent new registrants from hopping around to avoid payment (at least one of the considerations).  Below is from Appendix 7, Section 3.1.1 of the publicly available .COM RA<https://www.icann.org/en/registry-agreements/com/com-registry-agreement-appendix-7-1-12-2012-en>.  I believe that other legacy TLDs may have similar language.  Hope this helps.

Transfer (other than ICANN-approved bulk transfer). Transfers under Part A of the ICANN Policy on Transfer of Registrations between Registrars may not occur during the Add Grace Period or at any other time within the first 60 days after the initial registration. Enforcement is the responsibility of the Registrar sponsoring the domain name registration and is enforced by the SRS.

Barbara Knight, CCEP, CCME

Sr. Director - Registry Compliance

bknight at Verisign.com<mailto:bknight at Verisign.com>

t: 703-948-3343

12061 Bluemont Way, Reston, VA 20190

Verisign.com<http://www.verisigninc.com/>