[GNSO-TPR] [EXTERNAL] Re: Reason why Losing Registrar may NACK

Rick Wilhelm Rwilhelm at PIR.org
Mon Dec 12 14:04:44 UTC 2022

While I’m sympathetic to this situation, the registrar with IANA number 2482 (Sticting Registrar of Last Resort Foundation) does not have special standing.  It is one registrar accreditation among many.

Granted, it has a different type of “business model” than the typical registrar, but it has the same accreditation.

There might be space in the ecosystem for a special type of registrar accreditation, designated toward warehousing bad domains.  (Think of a “bad registrar” program, modeled after the concept of a “bad bank” IRL:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_bank .)  But that sort of thing doesn’t exist.

Regardless, it would seem to be a huge step for the Transfer PDP to be moving in the direction of creating distinctions between registrars.

Happy to discuss further on Tuesday.

Thanks
Rick

From: GNSO-TPR <gnso-tpr-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Mike Rodenbaugh <mike at rodenbaugh.com>
Date: Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 12:30 PM
To: Transfer PDP WG <gnso-tpr at icann.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [GNSO-TPR] Reason why Losing Registrar may NACK
CAUTION: This email came from outside your organization. Don’t trust emails, links, or attachments from senders that seem suspicious or you are not expecting.
________________________________
Thanks all for the healthy discussion on this issue on today's WG call.

As I mentioned, perhaps if the registrar has clear and convincing evidence that a domain is a DNS Security Threat, then it MUST deny the transfer.  This is to prevent registrars from pushing clear DNS Security Threats somewhere else.

Owen said that would prevent registrars from giving domains to brandowners who ask for them.  But I am not aware that registrars actually do that.  Would any other registrar rep confirm that happens?

Crystal raises the better point that it would prevent pushing domains to the Registrar of Last Resort or similar.  But that could be easily carved out, something like this...

Registrar MAY NACK a request if it has "Evidence of (a) fraud or (b) the domain presents an active DNS Security Threat as defined here: https://www.icann.org/dns-security-threat<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/eRiTCOYzm8C5vyyIEgYBU?domain=icann.org>."

Registrar MUST NACK. request if it has "Clear and convincing evidence that the domain presents an active DNS Security Threat as defined here: https://www.icann.org/dns-security-threat<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/eRiTCOYzm8C5vyyIEgYBU?domain=icann.org>.  In such cases, the registrar MAY transfer the name to the Registrar of Last Resort [defined here, to include similar things]"

I do not see how it could be defensible to transfer out a name to any other registrar under such circumstances.  But I look forward to any arguments otherwise.

Thanks,
Mike

[Logo]

Mike Rodenbaugh