[GNSO-TPR] Reminder: Draft Initial Report - Input Due 14 May 2022

Mike Rodenbaugh mike at rodenbaugh.com
Tue May 10 23:12:17 UTC 2022

Thanks Owen for the further helpful explanation.  However I am not very
comforted.  I would like to see better guardrails in the language of the
amended policy, rather than wishy-washy implementation guidance or
rationale.  At minimum, instead of *“violation of the Registration
Agreement”, *we could say *"material breach of any material term of the
Registration Agreement, as determined in the Registrar's reasonable
discretion."  *At least that would provide materiality and reasonableness
thresholds, which should be minimum 'guardrails' in the policy.

But I would still go further because registration agreements really could
say anything at all. are almost never read by the RNH, and are never relied
upon nor enforceable by the acquirer of a domain from the RNH (which
acquisition could be scuttled by registrar implementation of this 'reason
for denial' in any given case).  Again, we were talking about 'abuse'
situations, which I think could encompass your example since there appears
to have been abuse of registrar systems or personnel and that is a
legitimate reason for suspension or termination.  We could therefore go
with something like this:  *"material breach of any provision of the
Registration Agreement, as determined in the Registrar's reasonable
discretion, which provision is intended to protect internet users and/or
the DNS from abuse and/or harm."*

Registrar support staff, in your example, should reasonably be deemed to be
internet users that are being abused by objectionable content.  I don't
want to belabor your example, or any example, since the policy needs to
apply in all situations to everyone.  As it is currently drafted, in my
view this amended policy would be ripe for misuse or abuse by registrars
who would be empowered to deny any transfer for virtually any reason so
long as, in their sole discretion, they find any breach of the agreement
that they drafted.

I think we need to do better here.

Thanks,
Mike