[GNSO-TPR] A few issues

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Tue May 31 12:15:00 UTC 2022

Dear all,

I was wondering if we addressed the following issues at some point as I
don't see them in the preliminary recommendations:

1. Sanctions: there have been instances of registrars or registries finding
out that the domain name registrant is located or is providing services to
ordinary residents of sanctioned countries. In some cases they have been
able to transfer smoothly. But in others the notice to transfer was too
short and it amounted to confiscation of a domain name. sometimes the
registrars change jurisdiction and suddenly stop serving domain name
registrants in sanctioned countries which is over compliance with the
sanctions anyway. But they do that on regular basis. Up to this point ICANN
has allowed this to happen since this is within the remit of internal
governance of registries and registrars. Can we discuss this issue a little
bit more?

2. Fees: I can't find anything in our recommendations about excessive
transfer fees. Fee setting by ICANN creates complications but can we
mention that non-malicious  transfer should be free or transfer fee should
be reasonably priced?

Best regards,

Farzaneh