[gtld-tech] Specification 5 - Country names... again..

Alexander Mayrhofer alexander.mayrhofer at nic.at
Thu Dec 5 16:38:21 UTC 2013

(I hate replying to my own messages... but, well..)

> > Thanks for your comments @Alex.  The file submitted by Verisign to
> > satisfy Specification 5.4.3 was created using automatic translation of
> > the English Language names of the 193 UN Member states.
>
> [Alexander Mayrhofer]
> Thanks for the clarification. As i said above, it would be great to hear from
> ICANN what they intended with the 5.4.3 requirement - more specifically,
> which components of the date in the document cited in the requirement is
> to be used.
>
> My point is - the requirements are vague, and hence there is no clear way to
> quantify the quality of a solution. Which, in turn, is bound to create
> interopability issues.

[Alexander Mayrhofer]
I did mean 5.4.2 here, which, imho, is much more vague than the 5.4.3 requirement. It seems to me as if both

https://github.com/centralnic/spec5-reserved-names/blob/master/S5.4.2.txt
https://github.com/centralnic/spec5-reserved-names/blob/master/S5.4.3.txt

aim at covering the "translation into the 6 UN languages" (which is Requirement 5.4.3), while none of them covers the (vague) requirement of 5.4.2...?

Alex