[gtld-tech] Delegated strings: WHOIS & SLAs...

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Wed Nov 20 15:36:08 UTC 2013

Chicken and egg, as Rubens explained ..

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Domains
http://www.blacknight.co/
http://blog.blacknight.com/
http://www.technology.ie
Intl. +353 (0) 59  9183072
Locall: 1850 929 929
Direct Dial: +353 (0)59 9183090
Fax. +353 (0) 1 4811 763
Twitter: http://twitter.com/mneylon
-------------------------------

From: Alexander Mayrhofer [alexander.mayrhofer at nic.at]
Sent: 20 November 2013 15:34
To: Michele Neylon - Blacknight; Rubens Kuhl
Cc: gtld-tech at icann.org
Subject: AW: [gtld-tech] Delegated strings: WHOIS & SLAs...

The Registry Agreement is quite clear on this, though:

"Registration Data Directory Services. Until ICANN requires a different protocol, Registry Operator will operate a WHOIS service available via port 43 in accordance with RFC 3912, and a web based Directory Service at <whois.nic.TLD> providing free public query based access to at least the following elements in the following format."

Strictly speaking, it hence looks like running the WHOIS service under a different hostname would constitute a violation of the Registry agreement?

Alex