[gtld-tech] URS Technical Requirements - version 20131017

Alexander Mayrhofer alexander.mayrhofer at nic.at
Fri Oct 18 12:43:04 UTC 2013

Gustavo, colleagues,

one comment that we made a long time ago obviously didn't make it into the specs / process descriptions yet, namely about the "pre-communication of URS nameservers".

We would appreciate if all URS providers would pre-publish their list of nameservers they intend to use for URS suspension. The reasons for this is:

a)      we would appreciate if we could pre-create the respective host objects in each registry, so that the URS process itself would not need to consider the creation of those objects.

b)      we could "screen" the URS requests against those nameservers in the process of the actual suspension. This would give another level of security against rogue redirection requests (think "hacked URS provider"...)

thanks,
Alex

P.S.: Are people who are planning to attend the IETF meeting in Vancouver interesting in holding a "Registry Backend (Bar) BoF"? I'd definitely be interested in that.