[gtld-tech] Draft Updated WHOIS Clarification Advisory v.20141209

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Sat Dec 20 09:11:26 UTC 2014

Gustavo, others,

I am very concerned over the discussion and the way feedback is taken care of.

SSAC did already in SAC-055 say no constructive movement forward will be achieved unless certain base agreements have been achieved. Specifically SSAC say:

> The SSAC believes that there is a critical need for a policy defining the purpose of collecting and maintaining registration data. This policy should address the operational concerns of the parties who collect, maintain or use this data as it relates to ICANN’s remit. The policy should address at least the following questions:
>
> 	• Why are data collected?
>
> 	• What purpose will the data serve?
>
> 	• Who collects the data?
>
> 	• Where is the data stored and how long is it stored?
>
> 	• Where is the data escrowed and how long is it escrowed?
>
> 	• Who needs the data and why?
>
> 	• Who needs access to logs of access to the data and why?

Until there is agreement on these questions (and possibly more), I do not see there be any possibility to any of the issues ICANN just continue and continue to propose solutions to.

For example, even if I personally have been working with whois protocol and issues since 1993 or so, I find it being very hard to engage in the discussion as the questions above being adressed, in a global context with global legislative issues related to data protection taken into account.

   Patrik Fältström
   SSAC Chair