[gtld-tech] Multi-TLD Registry Activity Report Counts

Ben Levac Benoit.Levac at demandmedia.com
Fri Feb 14 03:23:22 UTC 2014

I have a question about the expected content of the following fields of the Registry Functions Activity Report, but it probably applies to other fields in the report:

05 - whois-43-queries
06 - web-whois-queries

We are currently operating a shared registry system which hosts multiple TLDs.  The WHOIS service is also shared and answers queries for all of the TLDs supported by the system.

In a system with only one TLD, I assume that these counters would include all WHOIS requests including invalid ones.

In a shared registry system however, what should these counters contain?

1 - Only successful domain and host queries where we could determine the TLD.

2 - A sum of all queries (all TLDs would be reported with the same count).

3 - Some other formula.

I'm not sure if this was ever discussed when creating these report definitions.  I can't find any documentation of this scenario.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

Please NOTE: This electronic message, including any attachments, may include privileged, confidential and/or inside information owned by Demand Media, Inc. Any distribution or use of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Thank you.