[gtld-tech] ICANNs WHOIS "clarifications" - overreaching and contradicting?

Greg Aaron greg at illumintel.com
Thu Sep 18 13:21:17 UTC 2014

Dear Alexander:

Regarding:

2) I don't see a contradiction.  I think the problem that ICANN is trying to
address is that some registrars still display old-style, non-EPP status
values, especially for .COM and .NET names.  The AWIP just said that
registrars "only refer to the statuses by their respective EPP status
codes".

3) Yes, this was presented in a less-than-clear fashion.  It might have been
better for ICANN's doc to have two sections only -- one regarding
registrars/RAA, and one regarding registries/registry contract, and
repeating some things in each.  The less interpretation that is necessary,
the better.
For example, you are correct that the Reseller field is unique to the RAA;
it is not listed in the nTLD registry contract Spec 4, and therefore there
is no obligation for registries must display that field in their WHOIS
output.  So I don't think that ICANN is saying that registries must display
the reseller field in their WHOIS output.

4) Empty fields have been a feature of some legacy gTLDs' output for some
time.  (See the thirteen Nameserver fields in .ORG WHOIS output for an
example.)  This may be an attempt to bring everything into line.

5) Must a registry received a waiver from ICANN in order to not display
fields that re marked as mandatory in the contract?  Registrars are filing
for data waivers, but I don't recall a registry doing so yet.

All best,
--Greg