[gtld-tech] [regext] A-label and U-label mixing - RDAP query

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Apr 14 20:35:48 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 07:15:47PM +0000, Gustavo Lozano wrote:

> RFC7482 gives two options to the server: "An RDAP server that receives a
> query string with a mixture of A-labels and U-labels MAY convert all the
> U-labels to A-labels, perform IDNA processing, and proceed with exact-match
> lookup.  In such cases, the response to be returned to the query source may
> not match the input from the query source.  Alternatively, the server MAY
> refuse to process the query".

This means there are two acceptable paths here, and for the reasons
given in 7482 we also know that servers need to be prepared to handle
the mixed-label cases.  There is arguably an advantage of consistency
in specifying which of the two options servers under agreement with
ICANN need to be able to do, but since the two options are each
specified in the RFC it seems that clients also need to be prepared to
cope with either branch.  To me it seems like it'd be friendlier to
the ultimate consumer if the server did the IDNA processing and
proceeded.

> Question for this community: is the behavior specified in the gTLD RDAP
> Profile (I.e. requiring processing of queries that mixes A-labels and
> U-labels) consistent with RFC 7482?

If this requirement is "contractally required", then I think it is
consistent.  If it is "technically" or "operationally required", it is
arguably inconsistent.  I hope the distinction I'm drawing is plain.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com