[gtld-tech] [weirds] Search Engines Indexing RDAP Server Content

Francisco Arias francisco.arias at icann.org
Wed Feb 3 00:23:42 UTC 2016

I talked with Andrew about the email below and I think we clarified things. I thought I’ll share with the list the assessment that Gustavo and I did on the issue. Andrew, please feel free to correct me.

Gustavo and I double checked the draft RDAP profile and do not see any element in there that is leading to expose more data than what the current Whois is, e.g., a domain name links to a few entities (e.g., registrant, registrar, admin, and tech contacts), a registrar, and zero or more name servers.

The search page (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:rdg.afilias.info) appears to be the result of crawling links from the first link that appears there (http://rdg.afilias.info/rdap/help). The help page contains links to search and lookup examples that return several objects with their directly-related objects, which are in turn shown in the search results. This could have happened in web-Whois if someone were to publish a page containing example queries.

In other words, the alluded behavior is not something enabled by RDAP or the profile.

Please let me know if we are missing something.

Regards,

--
Francisco