[gtld-tech] [weirds] Search Engines Indexing RDAP Server Content

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Wed Feb 3 12:38:05 UTC 2016

On 03/02/2016, 12:06, "gtld-tech-bounces at icann.org on behalf of Hollenbeck, Scott" <gtld-tech-bounces at icann.org on behalf of shollenbeck at verisign.com> wrote:

> [...]

The nastier bots ignore the robots.txt directives ..

As Scott and others have pointed out, unauthenticated access *is* a problem

Trying to draw parallels between current whois (web or otherwise) and RDAP might work with less technical types, but with this audience it simply won’t fly.

RDAP’s entire “power” lies in the way that you can traverse the database in multiple ways

You cannot do that with “normal” whois and this is both a security and a privacy issue

Repeatedly telling us you don’t think it is doesn’t change the fact that it is

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon