[gtld-tech] [weirds] Search Engines Indexing RDAP Server Content

Francisco Arias francisco.arias at icann.org
Fri Feb 5 20:52:52 UTC 2016

On 2/3/16, 9:40 AM, "gtld-tech-bounces at icann.org on behalf of Hollenbeck, Scott" <gtld-tech-bounces at icann.org on behalf of shollenbeck at verisign.com> wrote:

>As I've said before, I want to deploy RDAP in a way that addresses the issues we have with WHOIS. Functional equivalence provides no significant benefit.

Just to be clear, differentiated access is not the only benefit you get from RDAP. I can think of at least the below benefits:

1.	Internationalization support for registration data
2.	Standardized query, response, and error messages
3.	Standardized extensibility
4.	Supports private access to data (i.e., over HTTPS)
5.	Bootstrapping mechanism to easily find the authoritative server for a given query
6.	Standardized redirection/reference mechanism (e.g., from a thin registry to a registrar)
7.	Flexibility to support various policies

Regards,

--
Francisco