[gtld-tech] Draft RDAP Operational Profile for gTLD Registries and Registrars

luvingnc at aol.com luvingnc at aol.com
Thu Jan 14 03:57:13 UTC 2016

Well said, and spot on.  +1!

Many (most?) of the new gTLD registry agreements require searchable whois and such functionality is restricted to authenticated users.  The RDAP profile even mentions this in 2.1 ("Registries offering searchable Whois service (e.g., per exhibit A of their RA) MUST support RDAP search requests for domains and entities.") Yet - though your proposal is mentioned - the public comments page glosses over the need for authentication saying "ICANN notes that for the three gTLDs that have differentiated access in their registry agreements, there are, at least two models."  Three gTLDs?  No, anyone offering searchable whois is required to do so only to authenticated users.

The public comments page also says "The proposal indicated that differentiated access as described should be implemented by all, but not enabled until a contract change or a consensus policy on the subject had been put in place."  Without putting words in your mouth, I don't think it said exactly that.  Instead, the proposal suggested specifying three tiers in the existing RDAP profile, with varying responses, and defaulting to "authenticated-full" (i.e., unauthenticated users get authenticated responses) until ICANN policy changes.  Doing so would give implementers something concrete to go on.  But unless the community agrees (or ICANN dictates) how this is to be done, attempts to do so now run the significant risk of requiring potentially significant rework when an authentication/authorization profile is handed down.

Ann Hammond