[gtld-tech] Registrar Expiration Date I-D

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Fri Jan 22 02:33:48 UTC 2016

> On Jan 22, 2016, at 12:22 AM, Andrew Sullivan <asullivan at dyn.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 09:12:47PM -0500, Greg Aaron wrote:
>> Here’s a problem that raises the issue of whether date data from the registrar should be preserved (at least for a time) in a thin-to-thick registry migration.
>>

> I was directly involved in a pretty large thin-to-thick migration some
> years ago (org), and as far as I could tell the registry still had the
> dates in question.  What is the circumstance under which the registrar
> has different expiry dates than the registry?  (I am not totally _au
> courant_ with the systems, but I am having a hard time figuring out
> how the registry and registrar are out of sync when that isn't just
> fraud.)
>
> I'm prepared to admit that registrars' data could be out of sync.  But
> surely this ought to be a bulk operation?

My guess is it might come from a business practice.

Scenario 1:  Registrar pays registry 1 year, user deletes domain in less than 1 year. Instead of deleting the domain at the registry as soon as user requests it, registrar takes ownership of domain and try selling either at standard reg fee or at an auction. Registrar needs then to keep track of when its business relation with the registry expires and when its business relation with the registrant expires, and those are in effect different dates.

Scenario 2: Registrant registers for more than 1 year. Registrar pays registry for 1 year, and keep paying it for as long as the registrant originally paid for, but only at 1-year intervals. Considering most gTLDs auto-renew domains, it's not hard to implement.

Rubens