[gtld-tech] Registrar Expiration Date I-D

Andrew Sullivan asullivan at dyn.com
Fri Jan 22 14:26:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 05:24:35AM +0100, Patrik Fältström wrote:

> The registry expiration date, which is already in the registry, is definitely enough.

The problem that people claim to want to solve, however, is that
registrants are sometimes surprised at expiration because their
registrar says something's expired when the whois doesn't say that.
The registrar then sells the registry-registered name off to some
other registrant.

The idea is that by putting this data in the public whois, registrants
wont get surprised this way.  I have pretty grave doubts that this
idea is correct, but I can see the logic.

> Can we please instead try to make the lifecycle of a domain name _simpler_ so people do understand it? Already today it is extremely complicated. Specifically in the end game, and yes, as pointed out, that is used by some registries and registrars in a way that is viewed by some as not 100% "ok".

Yes.

Andrew Sullivan
Dyn
asullivan at dyn.com