[gtld-tech] Registrar Expiration Date I-D

Francisco Obispo francisco at obispo.link
Fri Jan 22 06:02:57 UTC 2016

On 21 Jan 2016, at 21:29, Pat Moroney wrote:

> If the customer hasn't yet paid the registrar for a renewal, the registrar expiration date will be in the past, while the registry expiration date is a year in the future. I know for a fact that this can be confusing for registrants and happens in both thick and thin registries who autorenew domains at expiration. But, as I said before, I haven't looked extensively into this extension and the reasons for it yet, and there may be a easier or better way to remove the possible confusion.

It doesn’t have to be this way.

A RAR can model the registry policy and auto-renew the name in its database, or keep the dates in sync via EPP <info> commands. There’s nothing that says that the expiration date has to remain in the past until the customer pays for it, the RAR has other means to inform its customer that the service has expired.

regards,