[gtld-tech] Registrar Expiration Date I-D

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Wed Jan 27 01:03:09 UTC 2016

> The problem that people claim to want to solve, however, is that
> registrants are sometimes surprised at expiration because their
> registrar says something's expired when the whois doesn't say that.

This is already an issue for current registrants of all gtlds - when a
thick registry changes the expiry date on a year after the expiry date,
yet the registrant hasn't paid the registrar for the renewal :(

It's usually accompanied by "but the whois says blah, so it doesn't
expire until next year"

> The idea is that by putting this data in the public whois, registrants
> wont get surprised this way.

Adding more data, especially where it could 'differ' to current data
will simply be an exponential increase in registrar workload dealing
with misunderstanding of whois, and benefits no-one

Rob
Rob Golding   rob.golding at astutium.com
Astutium Ltd, Number One Poultry, London. EC2R 8JR

* domains * hosting * vps * servers * cloud * backups *