[gtld-tech] Registrar Expiration Date I-D

Luis E. Muñoz lem at uniregistry.link
Wed Jan 27 18:06:02 UTC 2016

On 27 Jan 2016, at 9:49, Greg Aaron wrote:

> A) The current registrar and the current registrant are not the only
> parties
> with an interest in a domain's expiration date.  For example, other
> people
> may want that domain when it expires.  Gaining registrars like to see
> the
> expiration date when processing inbound transfers.
> B) A domain's expiration date can be gotten via EPP <info> command.
> No
> reason to show expiration date in a <info> command but not in WHOIS.

Wouldn’t (B) negate the “Gaining registrars” part of (A) as an
argument?

Also, given the prevalence of auto-renewals, I would argue that WHOIS as
it is today don’t work for prospective registrants interested in an
unavailable name. They really have no further clue about when the domain
will be available by looking at the expiration date alone. To that
effect, showing the pendingDelete status in the WHOIS record is better
for them, as it’s clear that the name won’t be auto-renewed and will
become available at some point in the (near) future.

Luis Muñoz
Director, Registry Operations

http://www.uniregistry.link/
2161 San Joaquin Hills Road