[gtld-tech] Delegated nameservers RFC compliance

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jul 26 04:01:25 UTC 2016

In message <0EDF3BC2-6E1E-4A2B-B264-3972B5E994B2 at icann.org>, Francisco Arias writes:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Are you suggesting there is an issue with TLD servers or second-level
> names, or both?

There are issues with both though the TLD servers have show a massive
improvement [1] and the GTLD subset are supposed to be RFC compliant
with DNSSEC, EDNS(0) and STD 13 as per their contracts.  The root
servers also need to meet the same level of compliance.

[2] shows that most of the TLD and root servers are basically
compliant.  The tests used are described in [3].

The second level names are a entirely different matter with only
~60% [1] of servers actually passing just the EDNS(0) subset of the
tests above.

Everytime new features (EDNS, DNSSEC, DNS COOKIES, AD=1 in queries)
have been deployed in the DNS resolver vendors have had to work
around non compliant servers where possible or just live with the
fact that you can't do reliable signaling because the broken servers
were not removed from the ecosystem in a timely enough manner (AD
is echoed back by too many servers despite this being explicting
prohibited by STD13).  This could have been avoided if nameservers
were actually checked for protocol compliance and operators with
non-compliant servers informed that their servers are broken.

Some of this will improve as operators use F1 [4] load balancers
and Checkpoint Firewalls upgrade (Unknown EDNS version and Unknown
EDNS Flags will no longer cause the DNS message to be dropped based
on correspondence with a Checkpoint developer.)  This won't cover
all cases of packets being dropped.  Nor will it address the servers
returning inappropriate responses.

To be able to use the extensions mechanisms specified in EDNS(0)
the deployed server need to be well behaved when they see a message
using a extensions mechanisms.  This is very much not the case
today.

Mark

[1] https://ednscomp.isc.org/compliance/summary.html
[2] https://ednscomp.isc.org/compliance/tld-fullreport.txt