[gtld-tech] RDAP referral to registrar ?

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Thu Sep 1 01:33:40 UTC 2016

>A nit in your comment, the requirement applies to ³thin² registrations.
>
>BTW, a Registrar may optionally provide an RDAP service.

In an ICANN contracted registry, sure.

We hope that ccTLDs will move to RDAP too, and there's all sorts of
situations where referrals are just what you want.  For example, most
.uk domains are handled by Nominet, while ac.uk is Janet.

Here in the US, there are still quite a few legacy geographic
registries, such as watkins-glen.ny.us which I run.  If Neustar were
to get their act together to run RDAP and refer geographic names, I'd
be thrilled to run an RDAP server for them.

R's,
John