[gtld-tech] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-brown-whoami-00.txt

Gavin Brown gavin.brown at centralnic.com
Wed Dec 20 17:08:44 UTC 2017

(apologies to those who receive multiple copies due to cross-posting)

Dear colleagues,

As you will probably be aware, the EU's General Data Protection
Regulation (GDPR) comes into force in May next year. This has forced
domain registries and registrars to reassess their approach to data
collection, retention, and disclosure - particuarly in regard to Whois/RDAP.

Having thought about this topic for a little while, it occurred to me
that there might be some benefit in a "straw man" proposal for how
centralised databases of registration data might be avoided. So I wrote
this Internet-Draft which describes a simple decentralised alternative
to Whois/RDAP directories.

Obviously it is far from a perfect solution, but I have yet to think of
any criticism of it that does not equally to Whois/RDAP as they
currently exist. So I have published my draft for feedback.

Flame on!

G.