[gtld-tech] Svelte CZDS zone files?

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Tue Sep 13 22:04:02 UTC 2022

On 12/09/2022 21:47, Jothan Frakes via gtld-tech wrote:
> diffs/deltas might also be a nice thing as well to slim up the bandwidth
> / storage if we're operating santa's list amendment

Think that deltas/diffs were a suggestion on the original CZDS working
group. It is a very efficient method but would add to the time taken to
produce the files. Some of the new gTLD zones have very little movenment
in a month.

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 1:00 PM Viktor Dukhovni via gtld-tech
> <gtld-tech at icann.org <mailto:gtld-tech at icann.org>> wrote:
>
>     It occurs to me that most CZDS users are interested primarily in the
>     collection of "ordinary" records present in the gTLD zone files, and
>     have no intention to e.g. operate secondary servers based on the
>     complete zone data.
>
>     In particular, the RRSIG and NSEC/NSEC3 records which can take up a
>     significant (perhaps dominant) fraction of the zone file size, may
>     be of little interest to most users.
>
>     I'd like to propose that ICANN make available a version of each gTLDs
>     zone file that elides the *derived* RRSIG, NSEC and NSEC3 records.
>     Doing this can save significant tranmission costs on the ICANN size, and
>     storage/processing costs on the CZDS user side.
>
>     If some users want the zone files, RRSIGs and all, those can continue to
>     be available.
>
>     [ Please DO NOT elide "DS" records, these are not "derived" data, signal
>        which delations are signed, and typically do not take up nearly
>     as much
>        space as RRSIGs. ]

It would make the files a lot easier to process and would reduce the
bandwidth requirements for the CZDS. Currently, the daily download of
zones is around 7GB. Deltas would considerably reduce that download.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com