[gtld-tech] Svelte CZDS zone files?

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Wed Sep 14 01:39:28 UTC 2022

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 08:43:13PM -0400, John R Levine via gtld-tech wrote:

> CZDS distributes zones as compressed master files.  Changing it to work by
> AXFR/IXFR would be quite a challenge.  Rsync would be hard enough to use
> the existing credentials.

I would not expect rsync to be effective at retrieving deltas of
compressed files with randomly scattered changes.  Sliding window
checksums are unlikely to find many common blocks.

Perhaps you're thinking of "BATCH MODE" deltas recorded on the
uncompressed before/after images of zone file snapshots?  The
deltas might be compressible.

Again if the density of changes is high enough, rsync may not be the
most effective incremental update format.

Of course now the client would have to identify the right set of
deltas to update from its current state to the desired new state.

And, with signed zone files, automated updates of RRSIGs increase the
local density of changes, so one might want to elide the RRSIGs in any
case.

The simplest actionable change would be to drop the RRSIG and NSEC(3)
records.

--
    Viktor.